Just Plodding Along

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Quince and Apple Jelly, and Tomato Sauce

So the quince didn't give me as much liquid as last time so I bulked it up with some apple liquid too. Came up with about 800mls. I added 590g of sugar and crossed my fingers. I'll have to check the jelly when it is cold, as it's still hot and very fluid.The tomato sauce I found the recipe in the Edmonds book, and had all the ingredients on hand. The smell of the tomato and onion reminded me of eating that in sandwiches at the Orchard over ten years ago. Amazing how smell works huh? The tomato sauce jarred well, all the seals popped on the twist on lids. I used two of the new jar lids and screw bands tonight, one each of jelly and sauce, so tomorrow I'll look how they sealed. $4 in PnS for 12 lids today. Found them and the cellophane covers 25 for $1.95 next to the baking items.

This is the black boy peach cobbler I made for pudding tonight. Man it was good. Will have to make it again for my visitors. Tastes even better with foraged fruit.

The biggest of the Beefsteak tomatoes I've grown so far. It weighs 379g alone! I am going to save the seeds for next year, as I don't think this one is a hybrid and it should produce good fruit for next year.



The three jars of bottled apple slices I made last night all sealed well. I am going to open one within the next week and see if the syrup was strong enough. I made a medium one, that was 1 cup sugar to 2 cups water.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home