Just Plodding Along

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

I'm back in the land of lemon and honey

Yes, I came back from Invercargill with a head cold. The kids are healthy though, so that's great news. We had a good time down there, with a few trips out to the local Oreti beach and through to the Riverton Rocks where we all clambered over the rocks and looked at the mysterious markings and grooves on them. Hubbys Mum gave me a Bernette sewing machine brand new, so that will help my foray into quilting and the likes. We gave her a computer and an internet connection so she can contact the rest of her family on it. Very happy lady! On the way back up the island we stopped in at Ashfords again so I could pick up yarn for sons hat and some sliver/roving to try out a spinning wheel I might buy. Will show photos of the trip later when I have organised them a little.

Now recently I was able to visit Ashford and said I would show photos, so here they are...
First up is the Ashford house...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

...which has the yarn shop, cafe, a little museum and a function room in it.
Next is the wall of yarn which makes a colourful photo...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

...son chose the colour of his hat with this photo!

Next is the amount of roving (in NZ it's called sliver) on these shelves...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

...there was Merino and Border Leicester to choose from in this sliver that was ready to be spun and you just buy how much you want, they just weigh it for you.

The wee museum up the stairs next to the function room was neat too, with all these older wheels including some of the first ones that Walter Ashford made..

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

...these were all guarded by a ram at the doorway...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

...we had fun looking around and I also bought some neat buttons from there. I'll find a way to use them, but I couldn't leave them there, they had to come home with me!
The cafe was lovely and we had a proper cup of tea out of a pot with scones. The atmosphere was calm and very warm as the people were so friendly and helpful. Dad and I chatted to a lady there for what seemed like ages all about spinning wheels and the like. I can't wait to go back for another look around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home